|Look for Lisa's books & travel apps.|
Lisa Meyers McClintick
Guidebook/app authorDay Trips from Twin Cities
Globe-Pequot Press, July 2012, first edition.
Hit the road with 24 day-trip destinations less than two to three hours from Minneapolis-St. Paul. Discover the towns that inspired Lake Wobegon, golf or shop your way through the Brainerd Lakes, go fishing, find fun family getaways, explore historic sites and state parks, and feast your way through Minnesota and Wisconsin's romantic river towns.
The Dakotas Off the Beaten Path
Globe-Pequot Press, July 2010, eighth edition.
Look for travel tips that cover a little bit of everything: rock-climbing and hiking in the Black Hills, watching the Laura Ingalls pageant, touring Native American museums, finding chic shopping and desserts in Fargo, and driving the quirky Enchanted Highway on the way to Medora's Badlands and never missing the surprises along the way.
Minnesota Lake Vacations travel app
This mobile travel app through Sutro Media, debuted January 2011, and includes more than 125 entries, close to 1,000 photos and great maps from the best resorts, restaurants and destinations in several northern Minnesota regions: Brainerd Lakes, Headwaters (Park Rapids to Walker) Ely and the Iron Range, and Glacial Lakes. It's a constant work in progress with frequent updates and additions.
- Look for the feature, "True North," about a family winter adventure on Minnesota's North Shore in the Winter 2011/2012 issue.
- Summer 2012 features include South Dakota's Black Hills and boating among polar bears and beluga whales in Churchill, Manitoba.
Midwest LivingThis wonderful regional magazine passionately captures life in the Midwest and thoroughly checks out everything it prints. I contribute to the annual Best of the Midwest Travel edition and ongoing bi-monthly magazine issues.
- Great River Road Trip.
- More than famous eagles: Two-day getaway to artsy, Nordic, outdoorsy Decorah, Iowa.
- Escape to Red Wing: Two-day getaway to this historic town of famous boots, bluffs and pottery.
- Look for eagles, ride the Midwest's coolest carousel and kayak the Mississippi River on a two-day getaway to Wabasha and Lake City, Minnesota.
- Enjoy stained glass, Mississippi scenery and spice on a Winona getaway.
- Have a winter adventure in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness with a Gunflint Trail lodge-to-lodge Nordic ski weekend.
- Berea Artisans Inspired by Appalachian Roots. (Part of a Fall Art Drives package)
|Twin Cities Star Tribune features.|
Twin Cities Star TribuneI am grateful Minnesotans have one of the country's best travel sections, taking readers across the world every Sunday.
- A Whale of a Time in Manitoba: Paddling with belugas, boating next to polar bears: these are the joys of summer in Churchill, Manitoba.
- Fresh take on SoCal: Flowers near San Diego offer a jumpstart on spring.
- Take a memorable ride during a dolphin swim in the Florida Keys.
- Sleigh ride brings on the magic: Gunflint Trail delivers a bucket-list experience.
- Life Lessons in the Wild: Wilderness Inquiry helps mother and son overcome challenges, find new strength.
- Longing for Light: Germany's Ore Mountains influence Christmas ornaments and decor across the globe.
- Ontario: Wilderness and Wonder. Family Canadian road trip pursues living history, thundering falls and real gems.
- Ice Jollies: Embrace Minnesota's winter with bucket-list ice fishing festivals.
- Digging History: Unearthing dinosaur bones in Thermopolis, Wyo.
- Rapid City's revival: Check out the hip, artsy downtown before heading to the Black Hills.
- Escapes that feed your creative side: Hands-on artsy workshops in the Upper Midwest.
AAA Living (Minnesota/Iowa)This classic road-trip magazine for travelers provides timely advice on upcoming local festivals and seasonal reasons to hit the road.
|USA Today pubs & Timber Home Living|
Buckettripper.comThink you can't embrace adventure? Forget your excuses and find inspiration on this website run by women challenging themselves and passionately pursuing dream trips across the globe.
Family Vacation CriticThis online website devotes itself to traveling with kids--which is its own kind of adventure. Look for resort reviews, the low-down on destinations and tips for parents.
- How-to guide to family camping
- Lake Superior Family Vacation
- Brainerd Lakes Family Vacation
- Black Hills Family Vacation
- Minocqua, Wis., Family Vacation
- Traverse City, Mich., Family Vacation
- Kalahari Resort, Wisconsin Dells
- The Wilderness, Wisconsin Dells
- Great Wolf Lodge, Wisconsin Dells
- Hotel del Coronado, San Diego, Calif.
|A few of my photos from the Midwest.|
- Urban East Meets Rugged West, a primer on places to meet in the Dakotas.
- Helped refresh and update its database of national parks and write the Minneapolis and U of M Fab Maps, which feature lodging and destinations and are printed on smartphone/eyeglass cleaning cloths. Super handy.
Log Home Living
(Also Timber Frame Living and Country's Best Cabins)
I frequently contribute landscaping/gardening and travel features to these home magazines dedicated to rural living in some of America's most scenic places. A sampling of landscape topics I've covered:
- Home canning makes a comeback
- Putting gardens to bed for the winter
- Help gardens thrive with DIY compost
- Gardening for shady areas
- Forcing spring bulbs for winter blooms
- Sweet success with fruitful landscaping
- Grow citrus fruit indoors
- Farms and ranches thrive in Maui's scenic Upcountry
Learning to rock climb in the Black Hills.
- Adventures such as dog-sledding, caving, mountain-biking and rock-climbing.
- Family travel.
- Hands-on vacations such as art studios, cooking classes and farm stays.
- Off-the-beaten-path discoveries from Finnish cafes to ice-fishing festivals.
- Local foods (think farm-stands & markets, vineyards, slow-food cafes, and ethnic neighborhoods).
- National and state parks.
- Second place, newspaper travel feature on a U.S./Canadian destination, Society of American Travel Writers (SATW), Central States, 2013.
- Third place, action photography; honorable mention for U.S. scenery and for food photography reflecting local cultures, Society of American Travel Writers (SATW), Central States, 2012.
- Third place, Newspaper feature-international, SATW, Central States 2011
- Third place, Past meeting location photo; third place, humorous photo; SATW, Central States, 2011
- First Place, Other (New Media), Mark Twain Awards, 2008
- Third Place, Newspaper feature, Mark Twain Awards through Midwest Travel Writers Association, 2007
- Second Place, Photojournalism, Mark Twain Awards, 2004
Available for speaking
Lisa Meyers McClintick
Freelance Travel Writer/Photographer
St. Cloud, Minnesota